Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Treatments

In the morning I go for my 6th treatment of Tysabri. Tysabri is the medication that I currently use to moderate my MS. I am starting to feel the benefits of the medicine and it seems that my congregation and people in the community are starting to notice as well, which is a good thing.

However, on Thursday I got a letter in the mail about Tysabri. Apparently there have been 2 more cases of a rare brain infection associated with this medicine. I always knew this was a possibility because 3 people have died from this infection with Tysabri. But they thought they had fixed that. Apparently not though. I really am not that scared, but there is a bit of worry in the back of my mind. But then I remember how fleeting life is and I think the benefits of Tysabri out way the risks. At least it has helped my energy and walking. So, we'll see. If you feel like it, I would appreciate you prayers :)

2 comments:

Pastor Heather said...

scary news - I will hold you in prayer

Nancy said...

God Bless you for having to deal with MS and shepard a congregation. I had my seventh Ty infusion when the news came out. I'm not too concerned since I've placed this into the Lord's hands. I also did some research and found that one the the patients in Europe had taken a medication prior to Tysabri that lowers the immune system. I can't think of the name right now but it is commonly given to leukemia patients after they receive a transfusion to help lower their chances of rejection to the new bone marrow. Just as the cases during the trial there is something in the background where the patient's immune system was compromised.

I also have benefited greatly from Ty. I have three children and with any medication there will always be some kind of risk or nasty side effects. I have accepted that in the 16+ years living with MS and have been careful about what I take. If something did happen, I just want my children to remember me happy, enjoying life and serving the Lord. That's the legacy I want to leave. Before Ty, I was giving myself daily shots of Copaxone and monthly infusion of Solumedrol. Years tole of the steroids made me depressed, tired and a big grouch.

I just wanted to share with you that there are others out here walking in the same shoes. I can't imagine going through this without having the hope and comfort that only our Lord Jesus Christ can provide.